Link-Age Intern (Unpaid)
Link-Age Program is a grant funded program by NYS Office for Mental Health in a triple partnership with NYS Office for Aging, Family & Children's Association, and Central Nassau Guidance & Counseling Center. The program serves individuals 55 years old in Nassau County, NY who are experiencing behavioral health concerns and are having difficulty connecting to long term services. We provide short term intensive case management and counseling with a focus on person centered care using a strengths-based approach. The program staff consists of Social Workers, a Registered Nurse, and a Peer Specialist. We assist clients with intensive challenges ranging from accessing mental health services, establishing food stability, addressing medical needs, connecting to housing, etc. We collaborate with numerous organizations ranging from hospitals, legal aid services, case management agencies, Adult Protective Services, Mobile Crisis, senior centers, etc.
Primary Responsibilities include:
The Link-Age Program Intern will assist our case manager and RN with client services. The clientele includes individuals 55 years old in all of Nassau County who are experiencing behavioral health issues. The intern will provide clients with blended telepractice & in-home counseling, housing assistance, Medicaid and public benefits application support, as well as referrals to other community and public resources through clinical case management. A valid New York State driver's license with a safe and responsible driving history is required, in addition to a motor vehicle that is properly registered and insured by New York State. Interns will do much of their face-to-face client contact in the client's home. All clients reside in Nassau County. (Some of this may change due to COVID-19 - home visits may be restricted or change to virtual sessions.)
Other responsibilities include:
· Participate in weekly team meetings & supervision
· Complete Assessments (Depression, Anxiety, Substance Use, and Suicide Risk Assessment) with clients over the phone or in-their home
· Complete Technology & Covid-19 surveys with clients
· Manage a client caseload (Care Plan, weekly phone calls, provide counseling & case management services)
· Attend potential trainings with Link-Age Staff
· Attend potential outreach events
· Work with clients to use technology like Fire Tablet & Fitbit to improve Health Confidence & Socialization
· Work collaboratively on cases with other professionals which provide a networking opportunity for interns
Qualifications and Requirements include:
*NOTE: We are unable to accept Practicum Internships.