- Provide support, advocacy, and
skill-building/educational activities to youth aged 13 and older who are
currently involved with the children's mental health system.
- Actively engage youth in existing youth-run leadership
organizations and/or creates their own.
- Encourage and support youth involvement with their
systems of care on an individual level as well as on a broader scale of
advocacy for system transformation.
- Support and enhancing youth development through
activities geared toward youth leadership and community involvement.
- Offer positive youth development-centered services with
a resiliency/recovery focus.
- Promote skills for coping and managing psychiatric symptoms.
- Facilitate the use of natural and community resources.
- Promote wellness through modeling and assist youth with
gaining and regaining the ability to make independent choices and playing
a proactive role in their treatment.
- Complete and submit paperwork in compliance to OMH and
- HS diploma/GED.
- Prior personal experience receiving services through
children's mental health, juvenile justice, or foster care systems.
- Youth Advocates must be between 18 and 28 years of age
- Valid New York State driver's license with a safe and
responsible driving history.
- A vehicle that is properly insured and registered in
accordance with NYS DMV and agency regulations.
- Part-time, Hourly up to 19 hours per week.
- Schedule will vary depending on clients' needs and may
include weekend and evening hours.